Sunday, July 8, 2007

White Bird, Idaho


On Monday Darin had some work to do, so I ventured out for my first solo foray – south of Orofino to the town of White Bird, population 150.

White Bird has 2 bars - the Silver Dollar and Mac's - and it's war (war of the Keystone anyway). For a while, Silver Dollar -- the good old locals stand-by -- sold Keystone for $1.00, while Mac's - the high falutin' newcomer -- sold it for $1.50. Well, that was enough to cause a ruckus in this hard drinkin' town of 150, until Mac's finally dropped their prices to even the score.

The Keystone Company loves White Bird in any case -- according to my sources, more Keystone is sold in this town of 150 than anywhere in Idaho. How is that possible?? Well, to give you an idea of how much alcohol flows around here, some of the locals apparently sign their social security checks directly over to the bar owner (no joke!). I guess that's where they'll spend the money anyway, and I imagine the bar owner doesn't want to get stiffed -- so might as well get those tax dollars flowin' right into the bar till! God bless America.

Anyway, before entering the bar, I was fortunate enough to first meet Mychelle and Marina while checking out room rates at the local motel. According to these helpful gals, the local barflies are a tough crowd. They don't warm quickly to outsiders and hate the Internet -- if you even mention it, they apparently look at you "like you're the devil." Guess I won't be talking up my blog in this town. But, rough as they might be, they were apparently bound to find me quite attractive simply because I have teeth! Oh my -- you know you're not in Kansas anymore when a full set of teeth makes you a beauty queen.




Marina graciously offered to take me to the Silver Dollar and introduce me to a few folks -- just the in I needed, especially in a place like this. As soon as I entered the bar, my suspicions were confirmed -- this crowd was way too rough around the edges for my book. But great for broadening my horizons and getting a little inspiration. Marina's friend Neal joined us (see photo) and told a great story about his great grandfather who was once run out of town by the sheriff. He roped the Sheriff, dragged him back into town, and went back in the bar to get a drink. No THAT's a barfly!

No comments: